What are SOPs for Bloggers? I interviewed Nadja Williamson to get the scoop. Read on to learn what she had to share!
Welcome back to another episode of the Bloggy Friends Show! In this episode, host Ashley Grant chats with operations expert Nadja Williamson about the importance of having standard operating procedures (SOPs) for your blogging business.
Episode 50 Show Notes – Jammin’ on SOPs for Bloggers with Nadja Williamson
Nadja shares how SOPs provide structure and peace of mind, allowing you to focus on the creative aspects of blogging instead of getting bogged down in the details. She outlines a simple system for creating SOPs:
1. Record yourself completing a task while narrating each step.
2. Have someone else try to follow your recording to do the task.
3. Ask them what information is missing from the instructions.
4. Use their feedback to create a clear written SOP.
Some key SOPs Nadja recommends starting with include:
– How to write and publish a blog post
– How to promote a blog post on social media
– A master checklist of everything that needs to be done for each blog post
Even if you’re a one person operation, SOPs help you stay organized, batch tasks efficiently, and make your business transferable should you get sick or want to scale up. They also provide continuity for your audience, ensuring your content and brand voice remain consistent.
Nadja emphasizes starting small and not getting discouraged. Building new habits takes time. Approach SOPs as “one less thing to worry about” rather than a chore. They’ll quickly become an indispensable part of your blogging toolkit.
Nadja Williamson is the Lead Strategist of Network Titan Solutions, a consulting agency that helps small business owners supercharge their operations by designing a custom mission control solution for their business.
She is a nerdy (recovering) people pleaser who is using her superpowers to help others capture the elusive work-life integration dream.
Though she grew up in the land down unda, she now calls Houston, Texas home with her equally nerdy husband, two sassy daughters, and a houseful of pets.
Here are some key timestamps from the episode:
– 00:01:02 – Nadja introduces herself and explains her company Network Titan Solutions and their signature program CEO Sidekicks.
– 00:02:11 – She talks about how they’ve shifted to helping people build their own “CEO sidekick” by teaching employees to become operations managers.
– 00:03:01 – Ashley asks what operations or systems Nadja would suggest for a blogger wanting to turn their blog into a business.
– 00:03:52 – Nadja outlines her “5 pillars” model for business operations.
– 00:08:18 – She recommends starting with SOPs and documenting processes step-by-step.
– 00:13:29 – Nadja shares an example of how skipping steps in an SOP led her to waste hours trying to troubleshoot.
– 00:17:38 – They discuss the importance of SOPs for continuity if something happens to you.
– 00:25:18 – Nadja suggests thinking of SOPs as “habits” rather than operational structures.
– 00:35:57 – She explains how task switching hurts productivity and why time blocking is so important.
– 00:47:27 – Ashley sums up that SOPs provide peace of mind and keep your business transferrable.
What did you think about this episode? What SOP will you tackle first for your blog? Let me know in the comments!