Fennel and Blood Oranges, Green Bean, Tomato, and Potato salads are made with fresh summer ingredients. Perfect as a side dish for a picnic or barbeque.
Summer is the season to take advantage of the fresh fruits and vegetables at the farmers’ markets or home vegetable gardens. The recipes for the Fennel and Blood Orange, Green Bean, Tomato, and Potato Salads use fresh vegetables in season. If blood oranges are not available, oranges in season can be substituted.
Summer Salad Recipes
Fennel and Blood Orange Salad Recipe
2 medium fennel bulbs 3 to 4 blood oranges 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 6 tbsp lemon juice (juice of two lemons) Sea salt (to taste) Freshly ground black pepper (to taste) Parmesan cheese shavings
- Cut off the fronds from the fennel bulbs.
- Cut each fennel bulb in half and remove the cores with a sharp knife.
- With a sharp knife thinly slice the fennel halves.
- Peel the blood oranges and remove the pith. Section the blood oranges.
- Place the fennel slices and blood orange sections into a large bowl.
Make the dressing:
Whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper (to taste) in a small bowl.
Assemble the salad:
- Pour dressing over the fennel slices and blood orange slices and toss well. Sprinkle with more salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Add Parmesan cheese savings on top of the salad.
- Serve immediately.
Green Bean, Tomato and Potato Salad
Green bean, tomato, and potato salad is a family favorite and is a great salad for a barbeque or picnic. It is the most popular salad at the family reunion.
The combination of steamed green beans, with garden-fresh sliced tomatoes, boiled potatoes, and shallots make a hearty vegetable salad. For a complete healthy meal salad, add a protein such as sliced hard-boiled eggs or crumbled feta cheese.
Green Bean, Tomato and Potato Salad Recipe
1 lb fresh beans 2 lb medium size white potatoes 4 large tomatoes 4 scallions 1 tsp oregano 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste freshly ground pepper to taste 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Snip ends of beans and steam until just cooked.
- Remove from steamer and let cool in a large salad bowl.
- Wash potatoes and place in a saucepan large enough to hold potatoes.
- Fill with saucepan with enough water to cover potatoes.
- Boil over medium heat until potatoes are cooked.
- Strain potatoes and let cool.
- Once the potatoes are cooled, peel potatoes and slice in medium size pieces.
- Add to the green beans in the salad bowl.
- Wash tomatoes and cut in quarter pieces – add to the salad bowl.
- Finely chop scallions and add to the salad bowl.
- Season with sea salt freshly ground pepper and oregano
- Add the 1/2 cup virgin olive oil and toss until the vegetables are well coated.
Serve with fresh crusty bread.